Applying a winged liner can make you feel confident and put together. But sometimes, the challenge lies in removing it at the end of the day. If you're struggling with getting rid of gel eyeliner, don't worry—you're not alone. Here are four easy tips to help you remove gel eyeliner like a pro.
Tip #1: Use an Oil-Based Makeup Remover
One of the most effective ways to remove gel eyeliner is by using an oil-based makeup remover. The oils in the remover will help break down the pigments in the eyeliner, making it easier to wipe away. Just saturate a cotton pad with your remover of choice and hold it over your closed eyes for a few seconds before gently wiping away.
Tip #2: Use a Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover
If you don't have an oil-based makeup remover on hand, don't worry—a waterproof eye makeup remover will also do the trick. Soak a cotton pad with your remover and press it against your closed lid, letting it sit for a few seconds before wiping away. You may need to go over the area a few times to get rid of all the product.
Tip #3: Try Micellar Water
Micellar water is another gentle solution that can help break down and remove gel eyeliner. soaked cotton pad over your closed lids and let it sit for a few seconds before wiping away. You can find micellar water at most drugstores or online.
Tip #4: Use Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another great natural remedy for removing gel eyeliner. Just apply a small amount of coconut oil to a cotton pad and hold it over your closed lids for a few seconds before wipe away the excess with a clean towel.
There are a few different ways that you can remove gel eyeliner, but we think the best method is using an oil-based makeup remover or waterproof eye makeup remover. If you don't have either of those on hand, you can also try micellar water or coconut oil—both of which will do the trick!
FAQs About Gel Eyeliner
How do I remove gel eyeliner without causing irritation?
To remove gel eyeliner without irritation, start by soaking a cotton pad in a gentle makeup remover or micellar water. Gently press the pad onto your closed eyelid and hold it there for a few seconds to allow the product to dissolve the eyeliner. Then, gently swipe the pad across your eyelid, moving from the inner to the outer corner. Avoid rubbing or tugging, as this can cause irritation.
What if the gel eyeliner is waterproof?
If you are dealing with waterproof gel eyeliner, you may need a more powerful makeup remover. Look for an oil-based remover or a specific waterproof makeup remover. Apply the remover to a cotton pad and follow the same process as mentioned earlier. The oil-based formula will help break down the waterproof formula, making it easier to remove.
Can I use natural remedies to remove gel eyeliner?
While natural remedies can work for some individuals, it's important to be cautious. Oils such as coconut oil or olive oil can be effective in removing gel eyeliner, but they may not work for everyone and can sometimes cause blurry vision if they get into the eyes. If you choose to use natural remedies, be sure to research the potential risks and use them with care.
What if I don't have makeup remover on hand?
If you don't have makeup remover available, you can use a mild cleanser or baby shampoo mixed with water. Apply the mixture to a cotton pad or your fingertips and gently massage it onto your closed eyelids. Rinse thoroughly with water and pat dry. Remember to be gentle to avoid any irritation.
Are there any specific techniques for removing gel eyeliner from the waterline?
Removing gel eyeliner from the waterline requires extra care. To do this, soak a cotton swab in a gentle eye makeup remover or micellar water. Close your eye and gently swipe the cotton swab along the waterline, being careful not to get any product into your eyes. Repeat until the eyeliner is completely removed.
How do I ensure all the gel eyeliner is removed?
To ensure that all gel eyeliner is completely removed, you can follow these steps:
- Start with clean hands: Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face to prevent any additional dirt or bacteria from transferring to your eye area.
- Use a gentle makeup remover: Choose a makeup remover that is suitable for your skin type and specifically designed for removing eye makeup. Look for oil-based removers or micellar water, as these are often effective in breaking down the waterproof and long-lasting formulas of gel eyeliners.
- Soak a cotton pad or cotton ball: Moisten a cotton pad or cotton ball with the makeup remover. Make sure it's saturated but not dripping.
- Close your eyes: Gently close your eyes and place the soaked cotton pad or ball on your eyelid. Press it against the eyeliner and hold it there for a few seconds. This allows the remover to break down the product.
- Swipe gently: After holding the cotton pad in place for a few seconds, start gently swiping it across your eyelid, moving from the inner corner to the outer corner. Use light, downward motions and avoid rubbing or tugging, as this can irritate the delicate skin around the eyes.
- Repeat if necessary: If there is still eyeliner residue left, repeat the process with a fresh cotton pad or ball and more makeup remover until all traces of the gel eyeliner are removed.
- Cleanse your face: After removing the eyeliner, cleanse your face using a gentle facial cleanser. This step helps remove any remaining residue and ensures your skin is thoroughly clean.
- Moisturize: Finish by applying a moisturizer or eye cream to hydrate the delicate eye area after the makeup removal process.
It's important to be gentle and avoid excessive rubbing, as this can cause irritation or damage to the skin around the eyes. If you experience any discomfort or redness, discontinue use and consult a dermatologist or eye care professional.
Here are some of the top gel eyeliners that have gained popularity for their quality and performance:
- Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner: This drugstore favorite offers a smooth and creamy formula that glides on effortlessly. It provides intense pigmentation and is known for its long-lasting wear, making it a reliable choice for all-day wear.
- Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner: Known for its high-quality products, Bobbi Brown's gel eyeliner is a favorite among makeup enthusiasts. It delivers a rich, opaque color that stays in place without smudging or fading throughout the day. It also comes with a brush for easy application.
- Inglot AMC Gel Eyeliner: Loved by professionals and makeup enthusiasts alike, Inglot's gel eyeliner is highly pigmented and offers a waterproof formula. It has a smooth consistency that allows for precise application and creates a long-lasting, smudge-proof line.
- L'Oreal Paris Infallible Gel Lacquer Liner: This gel liner provides intense color payoff and is designed to resist fading and smudging. Its long-wearing formula makes it suitable for all-day wear, and it comes with a brush for convenient application.
- MAC Fluidline Gel Eyeliner: MAC is renowned for its high-quality makeup products, and their gel eyeliner is no exception. It offers a smooth and creamy texture that allows for easy application, and it dries down to a matte finish. It is long-lasting and does not budge or smudge easily.
- Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eyeliner: If you're looking for a gel eyeliner that can withstand water and sweat, Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eyeliner is a great choice. It provides a highly pigmented and smudge-resistant formula that stays put even in challenging conditions.
Remember, when selecting a gel eyeliner, consider factors such as your desired finish, color options, longevity, and whether you prefer a brush included or purchased separately. Additionally, it's always a good idea to check online reviews and swatches to see how the product performs and suits your individual needs.
Ultimately, the best gel eyeliner for you will depend on your personal preferences, budget, and specific requirements. Experimenting with different brands and formulas can help you find the perfect gel eyeliner that enhances your eyes and meets your expectations.
So what are you waiting for? Click the link and find your perfect gel eyeliner today! Thanks for reading and we hope this was helpful.
Read our article about best hypoallergenic eyeliner here!
Read our article about best tattoo numbing cream here!
Read our article about best cruelty free lipstick here!